Wednesday 16 September 2020

SECOND HAND N GAUGE MODELS #6 -- ANOTHER WARSHIP CLASS 42 D816 "ECLIPSE"


D823 HERMES N GAUGE WARSHIP
Minitrix Class 42 D823 HERMES
Wasn't too long ago I managed to acquire two non working Minitrix Class 42 'Warships' in N Gauge. Now I know that these are reasonably common models and these were also many years old, but as I managed to pick up the pair of them fairly cheaply as non runners with a view to try and get at least one of them going again. Both were in pretty good condition bearing in mind their age, and even if I could only get one of them going again I would be very happy as I could double head them. Although of course I would have to do something with the numbers and names as both are the same and carry the name HERMES would look odd even on my simple test track unless I could get them changed. Well I did manage to get one of these working which made me happy, and have been looking to pick up another of the class with different name, number and / or colour (latter is not important but they are out there).

N Gauge Class 42 D816 Eclipse
Had been on the look out for at least one other in the same class for my collection and in September 2020 I found myself finally taking ownership of another Warship Class but at least with a different number and name this time, we've pickted up D816 ECLIPSE. Boxed Minitrix item and really pleased it's in such great condition too. Everything appears to be in order and no marks or missing items, so the only thing left was to see if it runs. Some oil, some tlc and yes it does! Working lights too in both forward and reverse, so a good purchase and addition to my fairly modest collection, still on the lookout for another sometime in a different livery for variation.
N Gauge Class 42 D816 Eclipse















While I am probably still going to try and get one of the other available models, BR Green livery (D832 Onslaught? D814 Dragon?) and there's also a Maroon colour scheme one (D815 Druid? D829 Magpie?). Onslaught would be my preference as it's currently one of only two preserved locomotives of this class and is running on the East Lancashire Railway. Will be giving this model a good run over the weekend to test it thoroughly then the next stage is to begin work on extending the 'test track'. Hopefully I can continue to create additions to my modest collection and test track at home, would like to make a small diesel depot with my other Westerns, early BR blue models and Mk 1 rolling stock. Pleased with my efforts to get something working again though whatever the quality, some great content on YouTube too helps when you are a novice like myself. Hopefully this experience will help us with the next job at hand as I move into a slightly higher grade, I also have four OO Gauge loco's in need of repair and bringing back into service. On step at a time and small victories are the key...

No comments:

Post a Comment