Monday 20 July 2015

LET'S HAVE A DAY OUT TO THE SEVERN VALLEY RAILWAY ...

www.svr.co.uk
This year is the Severn Valley Railway's 50th Anniversary as a Heritage Railway site, and since a lot will have changed since I last paid a visit some 30+ years ago as a teenager with my father I think a return trip is long overdue. 

So our plan is to take a weekend away in early October which might be a way off to some but with School Holidays to avoid and a busy summer anyway it'll be good to have a long weekend off to look forward to, and besides we're going to experience the railway not sit on beach. 

First day will be the travel up and that's a trip from London Marylebone station on the Chiltern line to Birmingham Moor Street. This is a not a journey I've done too often and is a nice change of scenery from the West Coast main line route. 

At Moor Street we'll change onto a local service to Kidderminster which is of course the 'new' starting point for the SVR. Now this will be a nice new part of the adventure since the last time I came here with Dad we started off from Bewdley after a long drive up. I plan to have the afternoon to look around the Kidderminster site though the main day out will be on the Sunday


It's looking like a good service for so late in the season (unlike my recent trip to the Bluebell Railway where only 1 train operated all day) 

We'll start out on the 10:30 service to Bridgnorth, have a couple of hours there to enjoy and perhaps lunch, then come back via Highley where the SVR have their Engine House Visitor Centre. 

Then we can grab the 3:26 train back to Kidderminster and that's over 5 hours worth of fun for under £20, and I'd be disappointed if I can't find a decent curry house in this neck of the woods to complete my Sunday. 

Return home on Monday back to Marylebone, gives me the afternoon in London if I need it. Will certainly have plenty to write up about and hopefully loads of pictures of the experience, after all I might not get to go back for their 100th Anniversary ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment