Sunday 8 March 2020

OO GAUGE SOUTHERN REGION MAUNSELL COACHES [LAWRENCE AND GODDARD]


As previously shown here briefly we've a boxed set of 6 SR Maunsell coaches made by David Lawrence and Larry Goddard. Now I only have this information garnished from the limited research available to me without Dad being here to enlighten me. However I am led to understand that Mr Lawrence might be responsible for most of the coaches build work and Mr Goddard is an expert painter and finisher ... though I think that comment understates both of their talents considerably and shall continue to try and find further reference and knowledge about both of these superb experts in their field.


Now I'm not the expert, sadly my late father was, so all I can provide is some basic information from what I can see and the limited research I have done so far, Am always open to comment and correction but please be constructive as I'm not trying to mislead anyone here.

Six Southern Region Maunsell Coaches
CORRIDOR COMPOSITE Class 1st / 3rd 
 - No.5662 + No.5648
CORRIDOR BRAKE THIRD (Luggage)
 - No.3740 + No.3799
CORRIDOR THIRD
 - No.783
DINING SALOON 
- No.7863 (pictured above)
GUV/CCT SR No.417
(the above GUV is included as part of this collection though I think it's just one Dad built himself to compliment the coaching stock). 
Remain boxed for safety and to preserve their quality, I will however aim to get them out and show the whole set at the next OO Gauge Test Track open day. More photo's and video clips if possible will hopefully follow. 



There is a 7th vehicle which appears to be a baggage car but origin is unlikely to match the others I think it was just kept together as a complete running set of rolling stock. 



Been in my late fathers collection for many years, probably about 20 given he moved onto larger scale modelling for the past couple of decades.

In wonderful condition for their age, signed by both David and Larry on the underside. Professionally valued at a dedicated model auction house, that regularly deals with vintage items, they estimated around £200-£250 each and was given a reserve as a complete set of £1250. The GUV / Baggage van being included in the set was being offered effectively free. 






Sorry have tried to get a decent close up of this signature to show you but my camera skills are poor and it just comes out blurred. Will keep trying though probably needs more light and a steady hand.
Here's a few more pictures taken including the GUV/CCT baggage car that I can only presume Dad added in afterwards as I had a couple of these which were Slaters Kits he made up to supplement some of his stock, sadly this item has lost one or two of it's 'windows' they probably lost their adhesive qualities while stored away. One of the coaches too has a loose roof but is otherwise intact again probably just a fresh application of superglue / resin or whatever is preferred.


No comments:

Post a Comment