Sunday 21 October 2018

SECOND HAND N GAUGE MODELS #2 -- CLASS 42 WARSHIP "HERMES"

Not too long ago I have managed to acquire two non working Minitrix Class 42 'Warships' in N Gauge. Now I know that these are fairly common models and are many years old, but I managed to pick up TWO of them as non runners with a view to try and get at least ONE of them going again. Both were in pretty good condition bearing in mind their age, and even if I could only get one of them going again I would be very happy as I could double head them. Although of course I would have to do something with the numbers and names as both are the same and carry the name HERMES would look odd even on my simple test track unless I could get them changed. The most likely outcome there would be for my to try and seek out another body shell and do a simple replace. I also have found that there are other models in the class available including a maroon one called "Zebra" so will keep my eyes peeled on the auction sites and in the USA sales.  
We know that the class was nicknamed "warship" and almost all carried names of Royal Navy ships. And could be found in model form in a variety of colours similar to their West Country cousins the Western Class. While these are both in BR Blue, if I can pick up a body of a Maroon (Zebra) one or BR Green (Intrepid) that would make a nice pair. If not then I'll just have to find the time and skill to renumber them and rename them two but the original plan was to simply get at least one of them working, and use the other as a dummy and double head them. 
Class 42 Warship -- N Gauge
D823 HERMES ON TEST TRACK
When I was first able to get them onto a test track at home was pleased to see that both at least tried to power up, their headlights working both forward and reverse. Took first one apart, all seems to be in good order and wires connected so with body off and some lubrication and cleaning tried again with contact across the pick ups and success. Put the body back on and only lighted tightened it all up again and on it's own was soon underway. Great news I thought and continued to work on the other but already fairly pleased that I had achieved one working model as hoped for. The other so far hasn't come back to running under it's own power but the lights work so there is hope, and does run behind the other so will do for the short term.

D823 Hermes
Entered traffic on 6 July 1960 and was withdrawn on 3 October 1971. Sadly only two locomotives made it into preservation and Hermes along with many of her Class was eventually cut up in May 1972 at Swindon Works.
Two of the class made it to preservation following the mass withdrawal of almost the entire class;
  • D821 Greyhound  Entered traffic 25 May 1960 and was withdrawn on 3 December 1972 Preserved and currently operational this locomotive can be found on the Severn Valley Railway and has carried the name Chris Broadhurst in preservation. 
  • D832 Onslaught Entered traffic on 8 February 1961 and was also withdrawn in December 1972. Preserved and also operational on the East Lancashire Railway in Bury.

No comments:

Post a Comment