Monday 5 October 2015

WEEKEND AWAY TO SEVERN VALLEY RAILWAY OCT 3-5 2015 PART ONE

www.svr.co.uk
This year is the Severn Valley Railway's 50th Anniversary as a Heritage Railway site, and since a lot will have changed since I last paid a visit some 30+ years ago as a teenager with my father I think a return trip is long overdue. 

For a start I recall we staying in a B&B in Bewdley which was the end of the line at the time (back in the 1980s), now I am able to stay in Kidderminster itself and enjoy the new features that the "new" terminus will have. Its also handy that I will be travelling up from London and only need to make the one change at Moor Street. 

READY TO DEPART FROM MARYLEBONE
Our journey starts on Saturday morning with a ride up on the Chiltern Line from London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street, from there we'll catch the local service up to Kidderminster itself. I could have taken a quicker route on the ECML but the Chiltern service is much more pleasant and I'm in no rush so will sit back and enjoy the scenery.

ONE OF SEVERAL CLASS 50's ON SITE

Saturday was day three of their diesel gala so plenty of Class 50s, shunters, a Deltic and more. Thankfully Sunday is back to a steam service for us, that's what I come to see.

YES A WESTERN, Albeit a small one...
 
The Diesel engine shed at Kidderminster had several shunter's on display. 

Sadly couldn't get any closer than this as I was on board a train at the time. 

SUNDAY

Today spending the day out on the SVR taking the first train out from Kidderminster at 10:30. The £19 ticket for a day rover pass is excellent value and includes entry to the Engine House visitor centre based at Highley. 

Our outward journey to Bridgnorth was headed (in reverse) by West Country Class No. 34027 "TAW VALLEY". 



Looked in fantastic condition and a tribute to the hard work of the many volunteers that keep this, and so many other, heritage lines going strong. 


'Taw Valley' left on time at 10:30am in superb October sunshine along with her eight blood and custard coaches in tow, gently passing the main line and away towards the first stop at Bewdley. 


As I mentioned the last time I was here would have been over 30 years ago as a teenager with my father.




The line only ran as far as Bewdley - Bridgnorth then and we stayed in a hotel beneath the viaduct here as far as I recall. 



Plenty of waiting passengers for this the first trip of the day, and the service soon filled up ready for the off towards Arley. I've uploaded a short video to YouTube for the trip from towards Highley though does have all the turbulence and noise to be expected as I was in the first carriage behind the loco. Click HERE for the link. 




As we approach Highley we pass by their "Engine Shed" heritage museum, a popular stopping off point for many and about half the train decamped here to have a browse. 


For me I had plans to tour round Bridgnorth and relax by the river so I remained on board as we pushed on towards Hampton Loade and our final outward destination. 




In Part Two of this blog we'll cover the rest of the afternoon and the return journey. Should also include a few pics from my meandering wander around Bridgnorth itself, the Cliff Railway and it's views from the summit.


Hopefully plenty more photo's too.

No comments:

Post a Comment